The Runaways

Was the moon landing fake?
Was it all just a dream?
Is the world all around me just more than it seems?
It’s already quite big
I’m already quite small
If it grows any more I’ll be nothing at all


In the stories of love it often is spoken
That girls love the boys who are dark, deep, and broken
But I really must say, yes I must now confess
I’d prefer to be the only one who’s a mess


My life kinda sucks
When it comes to my bonds
I know the exact moment that it went wrong
I looked at my mom and said tentatively 
“The Aztec people deserved mercy.
You see, the Spaniards were in no place to be judging
The culture of the people on whose land they were trudging
They saw that bright city of lights and of culture
And decided to make the only citizens, vultures.”


She looked at me and said
“I can accept that I guess.”
And everything was fine until I chose to confess
That I had something big to get off of my chest:


“You know most girls 
they like bad boys you see
I’m not really interested 
They’re just not for me
And while some girls can say bad boys are their type
I gotta say, bad girls are mine.”


And then she turned to me and said out of the blue
“Sorry to tell you, I already knew
that your thoughts in the department of boys were a bit skewed.
But I want you to know,
That the path that you walk is the edge of a knife.


There will be people you meet 
In the course of your life
And no matter the end: husband or wife
That it’s friends who will be there, to mark your tomorrow
If you don’t have friends first, you won’t know how to love,
Should your soul mate swoop in on the wings of a dove.”


I know that she had the best of intentions
But still to this day there remains still, a tension
For every time in passing, I mentioned
My thoughts on the innocent world whirling by,
A man walking strangely,
A bird in the sky,
A girl that I saw, just a few days before
We talked for a while. I want to talk more.
My mother would give me that look that I hate.
She thought I was lying
That deep down I was straight


She thought that in truth, I didn’t have friends
Close ones, who stood by to reach out a hand.
But in mere seconds flat I could prove it untrue
I had three loyal friends that I stuck to like glue
They know all the secrets that she never knew


So, I’m sorry, my dear, I can’t say you’re my friend
Our go-lucky relationship's come to an end
I can’t say I love you 
I’ve honestly tried
But deep in my heart I’d know that I’d lied


Maybe I’ll run away
Far away from this place,
Where there’s screaming, and crying, and Axe sprayed like mace.
Maybe it's time I run off to space.
Back to the moon
Up in the abyss.


Will we ever go back to that place in the sky?
For the world all around us is starting to die.
The ocean is boiling, my lungs fill with rot
This all is becoming much worse than I thought.


Alone in the desert, the sky tinted pink
The world is on fire and all I can think
Is how close the edge is
I’m so close to the brink
So close to the door
Now I’m crying out ink


In Truth:
I’m tired of hiding away from the crowd.
I’m tired of silence, I want to be loud.
But I haven’t a hint of the words I would speak
The prospects of silence unbroken look bleak


But at least I can write.
I can handle a pen.


A trait that I hope I will have till the end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Like You